research Journal #1

What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of either class discussion, or our required, course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?

The process where I narrowed down my topics was very simple. I pulled two things I knew I was interested in and made the decision based on how much research I could do based on the articles I found. The class discussions, especially on Friday's, helped me to see that the key words I have to work with are a big tool to find good research.

What research question did you choose, and how are I can be sure you're making a reasoned, academic judgement on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?

The research question that I chose was "How does diabetes in women effect their susceptibility to anxiety and depression?". I am sure that I am making a reasoned and academic judgment with this because I have key words like diabetes, anxiety and depression in women. the key word women is important because it narrows down my results. 


What article (or articles) are you basing this question on, and what type of article is it (research, theory, policy, practice) (citation[s] in APA, please)? 

I am basing my question on an article from the 'American Journal of Public Health' that is about women in New Deli that suffer from both anxiety and diabetes and how those are linked. 

How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, but also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?

I know that the key vocabulary corresponds to the literature in the field as well as the chapter because I am finding articles that clearly talk about my topic when using those key words in the public health journals. 

Based on what your question is, what kind of literature are you going to need? Again, please explicitly reference the text (Aveyard 2014). What is your hierarchy of evidence?

The literature that I am going to need is meta-analysis literature. I am going to have to work with the question I have and change some of the narrowing terms that I am using to slim down my research. 


How exactly did you research question arise out of "practice"?

The arose out of practice because the writings came from profession peer reviewed articles that helped lead me to forming a better research method.


How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?

I define my key terms by words that are going to be used to find articles that link all of my smaller questions together. These link to key journals in the field because they bring out the best journal results in the AJPH.

Did anything unexpected happen? From you initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?

Nothing unexpected has happened yet. I may need to add more key terms to my research question. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In class work 2-6 +2-8